Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The First Story

Today's countdown trivia won't be about When Mike Kissed Emma, but about me as a writer. I think I already mentioned that in middle school I wrote what amounted to fan-fiction featuring Charlie's Angels and the Brady Bunch (oh, I do wish I could find that story).

But before that, when I was in fourth or fifth grade, I started a story in a spiral notebook with Sally, Linus, Snoopy and a schoolhouse on the front. I still have that notebook and now, I will share with you some of my early ramblings. I still remember lying on my bed and writing these first lines. (Be prepared to be amazed - or not)

KIDS WILL BE KIDS
This story is about kids. Kids from the same family and from different families.

One of the family's is a family named Watkins. In this family there is a father named James Watkins, Sr., Alice Watkins, the mother. Their two kids: James Watkins, Jr. usually called Jimmy is seven and 2 days old. Jane is the baby of the family although she is three years old and in nursery school.

Where does this family life? In Bryn Mawr Pa.

Today is a Friday, Sept. 3. The first day of school. Jimmy is going into 2nd grade. He must be there by 9:00 and he walks. Now it is 2 minutes to 8. His mother's alarm clock will ring in 2 minutes. Tick-tock. ! minute is up. Tick Tock. Tick Tock, boy those minutes are sure ticking away fast.... bzzzz (here it goes be quiet) zzzz.


Can't you just feel the tension?

I've learned a lot about writing since then. Of course I learned a lot by writing, and naturally, by reading. And I'm sure I'm not done learning.

Countdown: 8 days.

2 comments:

  1. I have goosebumps :)

    This sounds like how people did used to write, so you were keeping with the times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny to look back at old stuff and see how my style has changed. And I don't even mean things from (unspecified number of) years ago. Things from relatively few years ago have changed too - helped along tremendously by an awesome critique group!

    ReplyDelete