Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Revising

I spent the day revising.

I wish I had a good tried-and-true method for revising.

Today's adventure involved moving scenes from various places in book to other places. And then trying to keep track of what I'd moved and to where and what no longer fit in because of it. It's really not surprising I have a headache now.

Most of the way through I thought - hey, maybe I should have used index cards for this. Or I suppose I could have printed out the scenes and then done some literal cutting and pasting. Instead I had multiple files and things highlighted (and I ended up just highlighting things random colors - so it didn't even mean anything specific if it was highlighted in a certain color).

And I just realized that I'm now admitting how disorganized my revising process is. Maybe I should stop now (leave some mystery.)

Anyone have any really good revising techniques they use?

4 comments:

  1. I don't think there is a tried and true method. Different methods work at different times.

    I'm so glad you're getting so much done! My day was productive. I'm starting to like my novel again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PJ - I'm glad you had a productive day. And I suppose you're right - different methods work at different times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christine, PJ is right. It all depends. And I am feeling disorganized in revising too. We just have to find what works for us. The way I see it, it's a different way for each book I write. UG! Good luck and at least you got some things done. *she claps for Christine*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Robyn. Revising is not only different for each book - but for each pass at revising. Really depends on what the goal is. I think yesterdays goal of re-arranging scenes is what made it feel disorganized.

    ReplyDelete