Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Letting the Story Take Control

I've been revising my latest Work in Progress. This isn't the kind of revision where sentences are tweaked or words are deleted to make things stronger. This is the kind of revision that involves a change in title, a change in the main character's name and a bunch of other changes besides.

(At what point do I have to admit that I am writing a new story?)

I had a good idea where I wanted this story to go. After all, this had started off as a revision in order to bring a little more focus to the middle of the story. The story was already written. Or was it?

Because this story is not going where I expect it to. I'm trying to force it into a mold. But it keeps breaking out.

And then I realized there was no reason why I couldn't let it. There will be time for more revisions. Right now I need to let the story have free rein. I need to forget where I thought the story was supposed to go and find out where it wants to go.

Should be an interesting ride.

Anyone else have their stories wrest control from them?

8 comments:

  1. I love it when stories do that! That's when I know I'm writing well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be interesting to see where it all ends up now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are writing a new story! That is what is so cool about your revisions :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah. So cool. Or really frustrating. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it really shows the depth of your characters when they tell you where to go instead of vice versa. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like as good an explanation as any! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're cracking me up here. You've got a great new story--more modern and fresh. Let your characters surprise you. It'll be fun to see what happens next.

    ReplyDelete